Thursday, June 16, 2011

Bathroom Reveal Continued . . .

In my Bathroom Reveal post yesterday I mentioned the painted items in our "new" guest bathroom -- specifically the cabinets, the mirror, the walls and wall decor. Today I'm going to fill you in on the other new features. As I said before when we began the redo we got rid of everything except the cabinets (which I refinished myself). That left a lot of work to complete. To refresh your memory here's what it looked like before...


Bath and Tile

After removing the cabinetry, the next thing we did was tear out the tile and tub. It was great fun. Seriously. Both my husband and I thoroughly enjoyed taking a chisel and hammer to that tile. It only took about an hour to get all the tile down.


After the tile was removed we hired someone to remove the old tub, install new moisture-resistant greenboard, install a new tub and lay new tile. New bath fixtures and faucets were also installed. Next I painted the room...


I took great pleasure in ripping up the old vinyl flooring and we had a beautiful wood floor installed -- bamboo to be exact. It's one of the things I love most about this room. Because the room is filled with white and shades of gray I knew we needed something to warm it up a bit. The bamboo flooring does the trick. If our kids were young and this bathroom was going to be used daily, I doubt if I would have had a wood floor installed, but since this room will be used infrequently I had no qualms about putting in wood. Originally I wanted to purchase a beautiful shower curtain, but because of the wood floor I decided on a glass tub enclosure so there would be less chance of the floors getting wet as someone showered...


Cabinet, Countertop and Sink

After the floors were installed we were able to re-install the newly refinished cabinets (go here for details) and the new granite countertop. I blogged about this granite counter top a few months ago. It was such a good deal! Go here for that post.


Odds 'n Ends

Next a variety of things were added to the room, like a new lighting fixture...


Towel racks, the glass tub enclosure, the mirror, wall decor and new baseboard came next. Then it was just a matter of adding the new pale pink throw rugs, hanging the towels and adding a new soap dish and tray. Here's what it looks like today...





I love how it turned out and I learned a lot, but it did make me realize that for the master bed and bath redo that we have planned for this fall I am going to turn it over to some capable person(s) so it will be done in a week! ;o)


Linked to:
Saturday Night Special @ Funky Junk Interiors
Frugalicious Friday @ Finding Fabulous